Monday, February 17, 2014

Big training weekend, big plans for 2014

As I'm writing this blog, I'm putting off some much-needed foam rolling.  Maybe at some point I will get writer's block, take a break to foam roll, and much like the foam roller kneads my muscles and releases lactic acid buildup, it will release my thoughts into written word....just maybe.

 This foam roller looks lonely...

In the meantime, I shall discuss my recent training.... So, the weather this weekend in Tyler was a triathlete's dream come true for mid-February.  Sunny skies, highs in the 60s/70s, and relatively calm winds.  Needless to say, I took full advantage and logged 160 miles on the bike and 20 miles of running on Saturday and Sunday!  Got my first century ride of the year Saturday morning, followed by a 5 mile run.  Then ran 15 on Sunday morning, took a break, and rode 60 Sunday afternoon with Kimberly (she rode wonderfully!).  Other people that I worked out with this weekend include William Ritter, Mike Buenaventura, Sean McArdle, and of course, the Freshies.  Waaaaay better than last weekend, when I spent 4.5 hours on the trainer...

And it looks like I've got many more high volume training weekends to come for 2014, because I'm planning quite the racing season.  Things got pretty real for me last week when I received my USAT "elite" membership, applied for and received my "professional" membership with Ironman (World Triathlon Corporation), and registered for my first 2 races as a pro!  So below is my tentative racing schedule for 2014....note, it includes 4 Ironman races....and half-irons in back-to-back weekends...yikes!

1/19/14:  Houston Marathon - completed in 2:33:06!

3/1/14: Fresh 15k (http://freshbybrookshires.com/fresh-15/) - come race with me!

3/30/14: Tri Tyler Half-Iron (http://www.tritylerhalf.com/) - once again, come race with me!

4/6/14: Ironman 70.3 Texas (Galveston) - don't come race with me, as it is sold out!

4/21/14: Boston Marathon: - (sadly, I'm on the fence about racing Boston this year...)

4/28/14: Wiki Wiki Man Oly Triathlon (Wills Pt, TX) -  (http://www.bigearthracing.com/event-wiki-wiki-man.php)  come race with me!

5/17/14: Ironman Texas (The Woodlands) - once again, sold out!

6/21/14: Get married (holla!)

6/29/14: Ironman France (Nice, France) - I think this is sold out too...plus, it's in France (awesome)

8/24/14: Ironman Louisville (Louisville, KY) - come race with me!

11/2/14: Ironman Florida (Panama City Beach, FL) - sold out...

There will most likely be another tri or 2 in there, and definitely some more running races and cycling races.  But these are the big races that I will plan everything else around.  It seems that the longer the race, the better off I am, and that's why I'm focusing on the Ironman distance this year.  The Ironman races are all at least 6 weeks apart, so hopefully that will give me enough time to recover.

To wrap things up for this blog, I will give a high point, and a low point for my last week:

High point: birth of my niece Caroline! - Congrats to Katie and Matt!

Kimbo and I with baby Caroline
 
Low point: in a moment of weakness, I indulged in the ultimate junk food:
 

Behold, the Monte Cristo Sandwich
 

And I still haven't foam rolled!

Ephesians 2:8-10 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."











No comments:

Post a Comment